Visit to The Stow Brothers

The Stow Brothers are one of the latest arrivals in Highams Park. New to Highams Park but well known in north east London, the Stow Brothers estate agency has opened an office on the Avenue opposite the Highams Park railway station.

The Stow Brothers, Kenny and Andrew, opened their doors in Walthamstow in 2014, with a second office opened in Wanstead in 2017.

I met Branch Manager Jon Vidal for a chat about the Stow Brothers’ latest venture of  opening a branch in Highams Park.

John Vidal, Branch Manager

What do you do?
We are an estate agency with a local focus, doing things differently. We want to do more than your typical estate agency. The Stow Brothers are an independent business, modern, forward-thinking, and eco-friendly, offering sales, lettings, new homes, and property management.  We take an active part in our communities, donating to local charities and community groups through the ‘Stow fund’.

We have recently donated £1,000 to Highams Park Food Aid. Set up by Tracey and Peter Rogers in the Covid-19 crisis as a joint venture between All Saints Church and local community organisations which relies on local volunteers and donations of food and money.

Our shop has hosted the ‘E4’s Smallest Gallery’ through the lockdown. A huge poster showing a selection of artwork has covered the shop window, including ‘The view from Pole Hill, Chingford’ by Chris Hall, and ‘Halex’, a picture of local café Halex, by Chris Jones.

Why Highams Park? 
Highams Park has got a lot going for it, it is a vibrant, friendly area with a good railway station, (23 minutes to London Liverpool Street station), and good schools, offering access to green areas including Epping Forest.  There are new businesses opening up here including bars and cafes, and the area is changing. It is a natural next step into an area with an attractive mix of property and more new developments on their way.

We have already got some properties on our books and we are seeing demand surge after the end of the lockdown and the Chancellor’s announcement of a stamp duty holiday, saving the average buyer thousands of pounds.

What’s your new offices like?
Our new Highams Park office is now refurbished and we are open! It used to be a bank – we’ve got a big vault in the back of our office so you can’t say our keys won’t be safe!  Both our Hoe Street and Wanstead offices were upgraded and redesigned when we moved in, to offer a stylish and welcoming environment that reflects the local area.

Will you be employing people in your new office?
Yes, we will have around 5 members of staff to start with and intend to expand. We have recently taken on a local trainee and are always interested in developing our staff. We take a team approach to doing business. Our commission structure is based on the whole team’s performance as it is rated by customers’ reviews, and any commission is shared equally. This ensures high-quality performance throughout the team and is based on customer feedback.

What’s the best part of the job?
Helping people through a difficult, high-tension decision-making process and seeing them move on happily. House buying and selling is typically the biggest purchase which most people make, and it can be stressful. We are very aware of this and go out of our way to support people throughout the process.

What tips do you have for someone about to brave the property market?
Presentation is especially important; plants and fancy soap sell houses! Decluttering to make the most of your space is helpful and it really is true that first impressions count.

Gardens and outside space are particularly in demand, people have been through the lockdown and are looking to upgrade their home environment.

Information is key. Ask lots of questions! It doesn’t matter how silly they sound, this is a major transaction and you need to understand as much as you can about what you are taking on. We help you with this, for example, asking about things like the boiler and the roof so that any offers made are well informed.

What do you do in your spare time?
I live within walking distance of Highams Park Station myself and enjoy taking my young family for walks to the lake and woods.  I am kept busy with my 2-year-old, 2-month-old baby and a English bulldog! Getting out and about into the parks and Epping Forest has been great during 2020 and I look forward to doing more of the same.

With thanks to Judith Burnett for the article

Contact details of the Stow Brothers are on this link: The Stow Brothers Contact details