TORTOISE SHELLEBRATION AT HALE END LIBRARY

Highams Park celebrity tortoise Albert is back on display in Hale End library to mark the launch of the second picturebook ‘Albert and the Wind’ from local author Ian Brown.

The illustrated adventures of Albert are based on a real-life tortoise – and Ian’s family pet – also called Albert.

The first picturebook, written by Ian, illustrated by Eoin Clarke and published by Graffeg, launched in April this year to much acclaim – including celebrity praise from the likes of John Craven, Michael Aspel, Paul Whitehouse, Julian Clary, Vicki Michelle, Joe Sugg and Lydia Bright.

In Albert Upside Down, Albert’s garden chums have to work out a way to team up and get Albert back on his feet. In the new book, Albert and the Wind, Albert’s salad is blown away on a blustery day. Can his friends retrieve his food and can Albert find a way to thank them all properly? Once again, the book also contains fun tortoise and turtle facts and information about real Albert.

“It’s a delight once again to put on a display in the library window,” says Ian. “Especially during National Libraries Week. Libraries are important local assets and we should support them as best we can. That’s why I was also pleased to gift a few copies of the new book to the library. People seemed to take to the first Albert book and I hope the second book appeals too. Local residents in particular have been great supporters as has local bookshop V & A Books.”

It’s not only Albert’s food that is blown off course in the new story. A certain undergarment is also blown from a washing line. This features in the display. “I must stress the pants on show are not my personal property. They are props for the display,” adds Ian.

Albert’s fans now stretch round the world and follow him on twitter, Facebook and via his website. He even has his own 2022 calendar out.

Ian has recently done two readings at the library of the first Albert book and there are plans to read Albert and the Wind. He’s also due to do readings at several Highams Park schools.

“One of the other things featured in the book is Albert’s food – fruit and veg. The book is vegan / vegetarian-friendly and might help introduce children to different foods,” says Ian.

More Albert adventures are in the pipeline. Find information on Albert at www.Alberttortoise.com

Library Window Display