Mallinson Park Wood was originally part of the Highams Estate until it was purchased by Lt. Col. Sir Stuart Mallinson in 1925 and were part of the grounds of the White House. He expanded the estate to over 10 hectares and created gardens and an arboretum. In 1978 Sir Stuart, anxious about the future of the estate after his death, sold the property and wood to the London Borough of Waltham Forest for £125,000, although he retained a life interest in it until he died in 1981. The house and arboretum area are now leased to Haven House Children’s Hospice, which is not publicly accessible. Part of the grounds fall within the Woodford Conservation area. The adjoining woods are maintained as public open space by LB Waltham Forest.
The Michael Mallinson Scout Centre is located where the land adjoins The Charter Road.